Thursday, April 3, 2008

Itty Bitty Alligator Scarf


My son has a new friend to add to his knitted toy collection. When I got the Baby Alligator Scarf kit from Morehouse Farm I was so eager to cast on that I didn't bother to check gauge. Besides, gauge really isn't that important with scarves, right? Well, it is if you want the scarf to be the right length. The scarf dimensions are supposed to measure 4 1/2" W x 36" L. Mine measures 3 1/2" W x 30" L. When I bought the kit from the website, I also ordered the recommended needle, size 5. The actual pattern recommends size 5 OR 6. I tested for gauge afterwards and finally did achieve gauge with size 8 needles. Here you can see the difference...




Trouble is, I don't like the scarf at that gauge. I actually like the firmness I get with the size 5 needles, and the skinniness of the gator does not offend me - so what I think I will do, since I have plenty of yarn left over from the kit, is rip out the tail portion and knit it to the appropriate length. I think I may hold off on this until next fall, because right now it is a cute toy... and it's no longer scarf weather here.

4 comments:

Joansie said...

Love the scarf. It's on my "to do" list for my grandchild. Thanks for the hints as I think I'll use smaller needles also.

Jill L said...

Love the Gator! I love a tight knit as well -- you could just use the 5's and just make it longer. It turned out great!

Smitten Knitten said...

He's so cute! I'm sure he'll be a much loved garment as well as a toy when next fall rolls around :).

Briley said...

It really does look great, and it may be more appreciated as a toy, anyway!